Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

About: Traffic Light "Kiss Me, Kate"


After another great episode of Traffic Light last night I just had to find out if the show has any chance of renewal for the 2012 season. What I found bummed me out. According to tvbythenumbers.com things aren't looking so great for this show, in fact they gave it two frowny faces. I swear the site is legit though. You can check it out yourself http://tinyurl.com/4crn74b To calculate the facial expressions and number of emoticons the site uses a ratio of a show's new episode adult 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of other scripted shows on the same network. See, it's legit. So, what do you think? Do you think Traffic Light will live to see season two?

Well now that that is out of the way, let's get into the episode. This was really funny stuff. I have to say I really liked Kathryn Hahn as Callie's sister Kate. I think she fit in pretty seamlessly with the rest of the cast. I would like to see her back again. (If the show gets a second season! Ok, I'll stop that now.)I tend to find that when famous actors and actresses do guest spots on a show it takes away from the episode because it messes with the dynamic. Kathryn Hahn didn't do that for me. It may be debatable how "famous" she is but I love her as the best friend of every lead actress in every romantic comedy.

I thought that Kate and Adam's characters played especially well off one another. Adam delivers his dry passing comments so well and Kate had a way of blowing him off that was very entertaining. I also approve of any story that involves Kev. Rob Huebel is hilarious and I think the show uses him perfectly. His character is so eccentric that he's best in small doses.

I really loved the ping pong storyline between Ethan and Mike. Long time rivalry stories can be over done in comedy and usually take a corny turn involving some slow motion final shot. Traffic light never went there which I really appreciated. Plus, I can buy that two men in their 30's are still fighting about the outcome of a ping pong tournament they played in college. And "the shirt" is a symbol of that long-suppressed rivalry. I find the whole idea completely believable. Am I wrong to think that?

There were a couple things I just wanted to mention:

*I am not 100% sold on Lisa yet. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about the way Liza Lapira plays the character that makes me feel like she's holding back a little. I get the feeling that Lisa is a little bit like Monica Geller except she never quite embraces her crazy the way Monica did. Does that make sense? I don't want the Lisa to be a replica of Monica, I just want her to take it to the next level, whatever that may be.

*I was totally surprised at Ethan's reaction to Kate sleeping with Kev. I thought he's be ecstatic to find a woman that wasn't looking for commitment.

*Kev and the pencil in the ear. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment