Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

About: Modern Family "See You Next Fall"


 "Have a nice trip, see you next fall"

This appropriately, albeit cheesily, titled episode certainly wasn't short on the physical humor.  At times it felt like I was watching an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, not that I'm complaining. Dick Van Dyke is a comedic genius. But I've never seen quite so much slapstick comedy in an episode of Modern Family as I did this week.

First we've got Cam falling into the kiddie pool. I don't care if it's mean, I would have laughed too. Then, we have Cam walking into the glass door, then the screen door.  We get to watch Phil and Claire ride a bicycle built for two. And as if that weren't enough, we see Phil and Claire practically rolling down a hill into Alex's graduation ceremony. As Cam so astutely pointed out, it's so hilarious because "It's the Juxtaposition of absurdist comedy against a formal setting". Yes. It. Is. And I loved it.

"Hey momma bear...don't be brave"

Phil's trip to Vegas must be muy importante. Oh, don't mind me, just taking a leaf from Phil's book. You know, speaking Spanish to people who obviously understand English? Phil was no doubt excited about taking a trip with "the guys" (his ex-college male cheerleader buddies) if he was willing to poke the beast. The beast being Claire. I get his strategy though. If she's going to have an emotional break-down anyway why not try to schedule it so that it doesn't interfere with his extra-curricular activities? Not a bad plan. Too bad Phil didn't realize how emotional Alex's graduation would be for him too. "I don't want to go to Vegas! I just want to hug 'em and embarrass them in front of their friends!" 


"Do you think he got his butt done too? It looks fantastic."

Jay got botox which doesn't really shock me. Sure he's a 'man's man' but he's also married to Gloria. This isn't the first time we've seen him a little insecure about his age and appearance. What was shocking was his face. I have to admit, at first I didn't really notice the change. When Gloria pointed it out I was a little confused because it just looked like Jay's face. But as the episode went on the sag became more evident. Sweet Manny being the tender-hearted thespian that he is actually thought Jay would consider wearing his Phantom of the Opera mask. Those two really are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Gloria being slightly less considerate managed to tell Jay that half his face looked like a candle but she still loved the other half. Now that is love.


"Don't stop believin' and get this party started!"

I have to say I'm loving the sisterly bonding these last few weeks. Sure it's funny when Alex and Haley fight but after a while it get's old. They're different, we get it. But they are getting to the age where their opposite interests stop mattering as much. It's nice to see them getting along.

Does this mean that Haley and Alex are going to be attending the same school next year? I kind of thought they already did. Am I wrong?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The more of the family in one place at a time, the better. I always enjoy when the show can find excuses for all three families to get together and celebrate. Thank goodness for birthday parties, graduations and family dinners.

Check out this amazing Gloria montage. Courtesy of  Vulture.

No comments:

Post a Comment