Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

About: Supernatural "Like a Virgin"

This post is very late but I couldn't not write about "Like a Virgin", so here we go!

The LOOOOOONG wait is over. Finally. The boys are back and everyone is alive and re-souled (?). Hallelujah! Dean and Death made a deal and everything is perfect, right? Ok, so I know this re-souling isn't going to come without a price but for now, can we just pretend? At least until the end of this paragraph. It was so nice to see Sam so peaceful since we haven't seen him rest this whole season. I was a little worried that he was going to sleep through the whole episode. In fact, I kind of expected him to wake up right at the end when we'd lost all hope. I'm glad that wasn't the case though because I really liked the flow of this episode. I loved having Sam back. And was I the only one who felt like I was looking at Season 2 Sam? He had that fresh-faced Sammy innocence that has been M.I.A. since the middle of season 2. Not that I haven't enjoyed the depth and darkness of Sam's character, because I have. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Emo-Sam from time to time. But, I digress. On to the episode.

As I have said before, I'm spoiler-phobic so I really didn't know what "Like a Virgin" was going to be about. I only knew what the promo told us; "Virgins, Sam. Virgins". If you had told me I'd come back from a nearly two month hiatus to an episode about dragons, I probably would have been...shocked? Confused? I honestly don't know, I really haven't spent much time thinking about dragons. That being said, I was pleased with the way Supernatural handled them. I was happy that they were able to take on human form. The thought of Sam and Dean slaying a scaly over-sized reptile is a little too much for me to handle.

Once I knew we were dealing with dragons I didn't really know what to expect. Like I said, I haven't spent much time thinking about dragons. So, needless to say I didn't realize they had a taste for virgins. And the sword in the stone had slipped my mind completely. The scene that followed was a hilarious reminder. Watching Dean struggle with the sword while Dr. Visyak tried to hold back her smirk was wonderful. It's no secret that Jensen Ackles has great comedic timing and it was perfectly showcased in this scene. My favorite moment of the episode by far was Dean's defeat in the battle of man vs. rock. "Son of a bitch, that's really on there!". While we're still on the topic of Dr. Visyak, I'd like a little back story on her relationship with Bobby. There is definitely some bad blood there.

There were a lot of really funny lines in "Like a Virgin" But there was also some very crucial information given in this episode. These dragon's aren't back after 700 years for no reason, they have a very specific purpose; open the door to purgatory and let something out. "Mother of all" as they're calling her, creator of all things that go bump in the night. Who knew there was a big bad worse than Lucifer? We don't know her plans yet but we know it's not going to be good. Still I can't help but wonder how these dragons came back from a 700 year extinction. I know we've heard theories from Bobby and the boys that it's got something to do with the botched apocalypse but I'd really like to see the show get more specific about why all the bad guys were so affected by it. What is it about the failed apocalypse that causes these changes? Is it a total shift in world order? Then why are the monsters the only ones affected? I need more information! I know I should probably just be patient, I'm sure what I'm looking for will start to come out in the next few episodes.

I was surprised by a few things in this episode. Bobby's cold reaction toward Sam was a bit unsettling to me. On the one hand I understand where Bobby is coming from, Sam did just try to kill him a few days before. But Bobby should know better than anyone that that wasn't Sam. To me, soulless Sam should be no different than the possessed Sam we saw in season 2. In both cases it was Sam, and it wasn't, but they drew on Sam's memories and oppressed emotions. So why is this so much harder for Bobby to deal with? Is it possible that he doesn't believe Sam is really back to his old self? Is he just uncomfortable with the deal with Death because that wouldn't surprise me. Deals have never produced positive results for the Winchesters. Either way, I'll be interested to see Sam and Bobby's interactions in future episodes.

Another thing that surprised me was Sam's reaction after Cas spilled the beans about his year without a soul. I expected and big argument between the brothers. That is a major lie on Dean's part and a huge violation of Sam's trust. I understand why Dean did what he did but Sam had a right to be upset. So why wasn't he? Was he just so wracked with guilt that he didn't feel like he deserved to be angry? Even Bobby warned Dean that when Sam found out, it wasn't going to be pretty. Maybe the anger will come later when Sam inevitably starts to scratch at that wall. As much as we don't want him to, he will because his soul won't let him forget what he's done. And that is Sam's constant battle, constantly trying to right the wrongs in his life.

On the lighter side, I had a few quotes I really enjoyed in this episode, besides the aforementioned sword in the stone scene.

I loved Bobby's shout out to Hogwarts. Love me some Harry Potter.

Sam: Who likes virgins and gold?
Dean: P. Diddy?

How many different ways can Dean use the term "hymenated"? Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment