Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

About: Modern Family "Someone to Watch over Lily"


Parenting is hard. Not that I have any personal experience on the matter, but from what I've seen it's no picnic. Perhaps the only thing harder than parenting is finding someone capable of taking over for you if need be. That sounds like one big, messy, awkward situation waiting to happen. And the perfect formula for a comedy. 

For Cam and Mitchell, the options aren't exactly endless. They could choose Claire and Phil, but the scene they walked in on looked like something out of a WWII movie. I loved watching them replace Luke's juggling knives with juggling fruit. Or they could choose Jay and Gloria. Jay is cranky and pushy and Gloria just might kill both of them for the chance to be Lily's mom. "Lily, when something horrible happens you're going to be all mine!" And with a track record like Gloria's I wouldn't put it past her. I believe we all remember the rat shovel.

Oh Claire, why do you think you can control every single thing? I'll be the first to admit that Phil and Luke share a certain quality that some people everyone may find annoying. But there are so many great things that come as a direct result of that one "flaw". That's something that I think Claire came to realize in the end. I loved Claire and Phil's fight in the parking garage. "Ok, ok. The adults are the big ones, right?". But in true Phil fashion, his speech saved the day. "You know why else he's [Luke] going to be ok? Because somewhere out there is a worried little girl making lists and labeling bins and he's gonna find her." I've said this before, but I love the way emotional scenes are handled in Modern Family. It's never over the top. I never find myself  thinking "No one would EVER say that" like I do in so many other shows.

Speaking of great speeches, I have to give some props to Jay. (Do people still say "give props"?) He knew exactly what NOT to say to Manny and it made all the difference. Manny's fear is one that most people can relate to. Who hasn't at one point or another been uncomfortable in a shower or locker room situation? And who hasn't heard the same tired speech about facing your insecurities with confidence? It's a regular sit-com staple. But in this case, Jay took the ever-effective reversed psychology route. In the end though, if Manny had decided against going, I have every confidence that Jay would have kept his word without a fuss. It's easy to forget what a good father Jay is until he surprises you with these moments of compassion. Good stuff.

And if this episode wasn't already heart-warming enough we've also got Alex and Haley bonding over some good old fashion breaking and entering with a side of vandalism. Now how is it that kids are always able to break into their high schools in these shows? I seem to remember the doors to my high school being chained up at night. Yes, with actual chains. There was no getting in there after hours, and certainly no getting out since all the hallways were gated. So forgive me if I find that part a little unbelievable. Luckily, it didn't take anything away from the bonding. I still found that believable.

As usual, there are some great lines I have to mention

* Cam: "Wait, wait. I think I hear future Lily sending us a message from her stripper pole. Thanks gay dead dads, this dance is for you"

*Luke: "She's like the best doctor ever. A couple of puzzles, no shots and I didn't even have to take my pants off. I found that one out a little late."

*Luke: "One time she gave me a woody. She remembered he's my favorite character from Toy Story."

*Cam: "You know I love Jay, and they're still in the mix but I just don't know about him raising a child.
Mitchell: "Well Cam, he raised me."
Cam: "Well, now you've put me in an awkward position."

No comments:

Post a Comment